Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Blowhards

So I went to Harrisburg with a half-dozen friends on Saturday so we could see Nats prospect Bryce Harper play for the Senators. As usual, I brought along a stack of cards with hopes of getting at least a few signed. I knew early on there would be an issue in this regard.

It was pouring when we got to the stadium, but the tarp was down and they were able to get the field ready in plenty of time for the players to stretch and start playing catch. Standing next to me was a rather large guy with a heavy New York accent who was telling anyone who would listen, as well as those who wanted him to just shut up, that all the players were prima donas and nobody was going to sign. For 20 minutes. Nonstop. All I could think was that if I was a player and heard this guy, I probably WOULD just keep walking.

I managed to get a couple of cards signed by Harrisburg pitcher Cory Van Allen, and was pleased to catch up with him. This caught the blowhard by surprise, but not as much as when he saw Harper sign for about a dozen people near first base before coming back toward the dugout. In front of he two of us, Harper also signed a mini-bat for a little girl before going to the bench. None of this bothered me in the least, I'm always happy when anyone stops to say hello and sign a couple of cards. But this appeared to greatly offend the blowhard.

During the game he kept telling people Harper "blew me off" for an autograph. No, I think he was as responsible for not getting an autograph as anyone else out there.

My perspective on this thing has also been affected by a good experience at a couple of games this week. The main difference? No blowhard getting in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment