Monday, November 5, 2012

Something to play for, and a bath to boot

I did not know enough about California's high school playoff system last week at this time to know my Friday game actually meant something.

The Golden West League game pitted a 4-5 Ocean View team against 2-7 Loara, who I had just seen the week before losing to Westminster as the Lions sewed up a piece of the district title and their own berth in the playoffs.

So imagine my surprise when I was reading an e-mail from Orange County Register team leader Brian Patterson early Friday afternoon. Just like the previous week, he was outlining the playoff scenarios for the two dozen stringers working that night, since we needed to get that information in our stories. Despite their records, the teams in my game were still in line for the playoffs. All Ocean View needed was a win to finish 3-2 in the league and get its third playoff slot. If Loara won, it would be part of a three-way tie at 2-3 and coin flips would determine if it, Ocean View or Orange got the spot.

When I arrived at Glover Field in Anaheim, I asked about the coin flips, and someone from each school told me off the record that they had taken place and that Loara won, so this very game would determine the third-place team.

Lucky for me, it was an exciting game that moved at a great pace, wrapping up with Loara's win at about 9:20, giving me a little more than an hour to file my statistics and story. I was even able to get a quick interview with Loara's coach, Dean Lappin. I had just finished jotting down his last quote when I sensed players coming up from behind us.

My interview allowed them enough time to grab a cooler and dump it on their coach. One of my legs got wet as well, but I was none the worse for wear. I saw Lappin in the middle of a group of players, said thanks and gave him a thumbs up. Just another Friday night on the beat.

Here's the coverage from OCVarsity.com. Not sure if there are any photos floating around, but if I find one I will post it.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/sports/stirrat-34301-loara-spot.html

No comments:

Post a Comment