Saturday, March 16, 2013

Baseball, at last

So I am still looking for a full-time job and writing for the Orange County Register about once a week. After covering a few CIF-Southern Section basketball games I have moved on to the baseball beat, and it was a lot of fun to get out and cover my first game on Friday. I trekked to Newport Beach to cover Corona del Mar as it hosted University High School from Irvine. I did not know it at the time, but the pitcher for University, Jordan Scheftz, has already committed to attend UC Irvine next year, so I suspect I'll be seeing his name, and maybe even writing a bit more about him, for a while. I really should have known something was up when he froze one of the CdM hitters with a vicious breaking ball that seemed to dive into the strike zone at the last second. After the game, I got a quick quote from Scheftz as well as both schools' coaches and then headed to a McDonalds on Pacific Coast Highway where I wrote my story. And here it is...

www.ocvarsity.com/sports/scheftz-36463-university-johnson.html

Oh and I want to include kudos to the folks at the Register. Whomever edited this moved a graf and cleaned up a couple more to make it flow much better. I was very happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment